6 fruit hot cross buns
100g softened butter
200g milk chocolate medallions
2 cups mix berries
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups full cream
- 1 1/4 cups full cream milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white sugar
To make the custard:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, stir in milk, cream, and vanilla extract. Stir till hot but not boiling. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add 2 ladle spoons full of hot cream mixture over egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Add remaining cream mixture slowly until combined.
- Return custard mixture to saucepan on low heat. Stir for approximately 10 minutes or until custard has thickened, stirring constantly taking care not to bring to a boil to prevent curdling. Once thickened, set aside.
To assemble the buns:
- Preheat oven to 140°C
- Grease a deep 20cm baking dish with butter.
- Cut hot cross buns into even slices horizontally, making a bottom, middle and top layers. Butter each layer generously. Dip each piece into custard to coat. Lay 4 to 5 chocolate medallions and half of the berries on each layer. Set remaining berries and chocolates aside for topping.
- Place buns in the baking dish. Pour remaining custard all over buns. Top with leftover berries and chocolates and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
- Bake the pudding for 30 minutes or until browned lightly and crusty around the sides. Serve immediately.