A salty yet sweet, creamy pillow of scones. These make a delicious afternoon tea, accompanied with a cup of tea or a cool glass of Pinot Grigio.
- 2 1/2 cups SRF flour
- 100g butter, chilled & diced
- 50g + 20g crumbly Blue Cheese (Gorgonzola Dolce, Roquefort or Stilton)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons berry jam + extra for topping
- 1/2 cup full cream milk
- Extra milk for glazing
- A sprig of Rosemary
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place flour and butter in a mixing bowl. Rub with fingertips till flour resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in 50g of blue cheese, parmesan, berries, and jam.
- Add milk and mix with a knife to bind all ingredients. Add 1 more tablespoon of milk if required, until dough comes together. Knead a few times to form a soft dough. Do not overwork the dough.
- Flour lightly a work surface. Roll out and shape dough into approximately 15cm square by 2.5cm thickness. Cut dough into 9 equal square pieces.
- Place scones on the baking sheet, 1cm apart. Brush with milk and sprinkle remaining blue cheese and drop a dollop of berry jam on top.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until risen and turn a light golden brown.
- Serve piping hot with more berry jam or a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of fresh rosemary.