- 200g shelled roasted pistachios-divided into 2 lots (100g for coating, 100g for dough)
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon cup plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups of good quality chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons full cream
- 1 cup Raspberry/strawberry mix jam
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 170°C with top and bottom racks. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Set aside.
For the crust:
- In a food processor, pulse 100g pistachios until coarsely chopped. Set aside for coating cookies later.
For the dough:
- Combine remaining pistachios and the tablespoon of flour. Pulse in the processor until finely ground, resembling bread crumbs.
- Whisk together the ground pistachio flour, the cup of plain flour and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
To make the dough:
- In a cake mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, for approx 4 to 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat till combined. Reduce speed and slowly add ground pistachio flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl until a soft dough is formed.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white until frothy. Roll dough into 2.5cm diameter balls (approx 25g each).
- Lightly dampen a palm with whisked egg white, roll cookie balls till coated, then roll in crushed pistachios until evenly encrusted. Place cookie balls 4cm apart on the baking sheets.
- Using a rounded end of a wooden spoon, press down into the centre of cookie to create a crater, pushing until just before reaching the base. Re-shape cookies if necessary.
- Bake cookies for 18 minutes, rotating halfway until they turn a light golden brown. Allow cookies to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar.
Choc Filled Cookies:
- Place choc chips and cream into a small metal mixing bowl and melt over low heat in a bain marie until just melted and shiny. Remove from heat. (This can also be done in the microwave with short spurts of heating and stirring a few times until melted).
- Spoon a small amount of melted chocolate into the crater of the cookies. Let set.
Jam Drop Cookies:
- In a small saucepan, heat jam mixture and lemon juice until it starts to bubble. Spoon jam into centre of cookies.
- Allow jam to cool and set before serving.
Tip: May be stored in an airtight container with baking paper between layers.