Serves 10 people
Cooking time 2 hours
- 1/2 medium pineapple
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 80g The Organic Milk Co. Unsalted Butter
- 80ml pineapple juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple pieces
- 250g caster sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 300ml pure cream
- 2 tbsp Ayam Coconut Cream (only the top solid curd)
- 2 tbsp white rum (optional)
- 1/2 medium pineapple, thinly sliced
- Preheat BBQ grill to medium high. Brush grill liberally with oil. Peel and slice ½ pineapple into 1cm thick rounds. Coat with brown sugar and grill for 5 mins each side or until lightly caramelised. Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Heat over medium low heat for 10 mins, stirring slowly and constantly until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- To make meringue layers, whisk together 6 egg whites, gradually adding the caster sugar and cornflour. Once stiff peaks form, whisk in vinegar.
- Spread mixture out on a lined baking tray, smoothing into 2 disks and bake in the oven for an hour at 120°C (100°C fan-forced). Leave to cool in the oven.
- When ready to assemble, whip the cream, coconut cream curd and rum. Sandwich cream in between meringue layers and fresh pineapple layers. Make a cut from the edge to the centre of grilled pineapple rounds. Fold these into cone shapes and use to decorate the top of the pavlova. Drizzle with sauce and serve.