This gluten free, low carb, high protein dish is so satisfying and perfect for these cooler nights. And on top of that, it only takes 15 minutes to prepare!
Serves 2 to 4
- 500g pork scotch fillet or chicken thigh fillet-sliced into bite size pieces
- 2.5 cm knob of ginger-thinly sliced
- 1 small golden shallot-chopped
- 2 cloves garlic-finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons rice bran oil or any neutral oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 bunch of asian green (bok choi, choy sum or 1/2 wong bok)-cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 ltr chicken bone broth or water or combination
- 2 bundles bean thread noodles
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- white pepper
- 2 eggs-optional
+ a small side dipping dish of Tamari (GF soy sauce) and chopped chilli.
- Soak bean thread noodles in a bowl of hot water. Set aside. Marinate sliced pork or chicken with corn flour, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 tablespoon sugar and pinch of white pepper. Combine well. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat remaining oil on medium high. First, add the sliced ginger and stir, then add the golden shallot and fry further minute, then add the garlic and fry till fragrant and brown. Set aside a small amount of the fried aromats for finishing the broth later.
- Add broth/water and bring to a gentle boil. Add meat a little bit at a time. Let boil till meat is cooked, approximately 8 minutes or so. Drain bean thread noodles and add to broth.
- Lastly, add the greens to the broth. Cook for a minute. Season with sugar and salt. Finish with a pinch of pepper, fried aromats and a few drops of sesame oil.
- Crack the eggs onto the broth before serving, if desired. Stir to break the yolks while broth is hot. Serve piping hot!!
Tip: Check that bought broth may be salted. Adjust seasoning to taste. For this recipe I used 500g of The Stock Merchant Chicken Bone Broth (available in-store), which has no added salt and 500g water.