- 600g pork shoulder
- 3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 brown onion – sliced
- 1/3 cup rice bran oil
- 2 tbsps. corn flour
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps. kicap manis
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Salt & pepper
- 1 lime – juiced
- 1 mango – peeled & sliced
- 12 small dinner rolls or Brioche
- Pre-heat 170°C.
- Cut pork along grains, vertically into 5cm thick strips. Rub some oil, corn flour, salt & pepper all over pork.
- In a heavy-based casserole dish with a lid, heat some oil over a medium heat. Sear pork until browned on all sides. Add onion & fry for 2 minutes. Add garlic & fry for a further minute. Set pork aside, leaving onion and garlic in the pot.
- Add balsamic vinegar, soy, kicap manis, stock, apple juice & sugar. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Return pork to sauce. Cover with lid & transfer pot to oven. Cook for 2 hours, turning once or twice.
- Remove pork gently from pot. Place in a large bowl & cover with cling film. Keep pork in the fridge until ready to pull.
- Return pot to the stove & bring sauce to a gentle boil. Let sauce reduce until it becomes a thick glaze(approx. 8-10 minutes).
- Test by coating a wooden spoon with sauce & running your finger through the middle of it. If a clear path is let on the spoon, it is ready. Finish sauce with lime juice.
Mango Slaw w Sriracha Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsps. Sriracha or hot chilli sauce
- 1 lime – juiced
- 1 semi ripe mango – thinly julienne
- 2 cups finely sliced red cabbage
- 1 small carrot – finely sliced
- 1/2 cup coriander – chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Mix mayonnaise with Sriracha, lime juice & sea salt. Stir well to combine.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of mayo as spread for bread rolls.
- In a large bowl, mix sliced mango, cabbage, carrots, coriander & Sriracha mayo. Toss till well combined.