This Winter Comfort Soup is Perfect for those cold nights curled up with a good book and red wine in hand.
- 250g Button mushrooms-cut into halves
- 300g Butternut pumpkin-diced into 2cm cubes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 Golden Shallots-diced
- 2 stalks thyme-finely chopped-leave some for garnishing
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 300g Ravioli-flavour of your choice
- 200g grated Parmesan-leave some for finishing
- 150g baby spinach
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 light cream
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C
- In a mixing bowl, toss together sliced mushrooms, pumpkin cubes and half of the diced onion. Add a generous amount of EVOO and season with salt. Place mixture onto a large baking pan and bake in the oven for 15minutes or until mushrooms and pumpkins are caramelised or turned golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add remaining diced onion. Fry till fragrant. Add cooked mushrooms, thyme and flour. Cook and stir until the flour starts to turn a light golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze the pan. Simmer and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add ravioli, reduce the heat and simmer until pasta is tender, about 8 minutes or to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add parmesan, stir until cheese is melted.
- Add sour cream, stirring until incorporated.
- Add spinach and stir through. Remove from heat.
- Finish with drizzle of light cream and a sprinkling of grated parmesan.
- Garnish with remaining chopped thyme.
- Serve with a crusty sourdough bread.
- For Gluten Free version substitute with rice flour.
- For vegetarian version substitute with vegetable stock.
- We used Joseph’s Extra Virgin Olive oil for this recipe
- Our preferred parmesan is Parmigiana Reggiano.