What’s more soul warming on a chilly winter night than a smoky roast beef served with a piquant South American BBQ sauce?
Never heard of reverse searing method? Once you master this technique you’ll never go back to the traditional way of grilling steaks or roasting beef. It works consistently every time, resulting in an even pinkness throughout the meat. It’s simply cooking meat in the oven first and then finishing on the grill to form a smoky crust. Try this fail proof way of cooking and thank us later!
Ingredients for roast:
- 1kg Scotch Roast
- 1/2 cup rice bran oil
- Sea salt
You will also need:
- A meat thermometer probe
- A Grilling pan. A cast iron pan is best.
Chimichurri Sauce ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Coriander-root removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup continental parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 golden Eschalot
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Grated rind of 1 lime
- 1 green chilli- seeded
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Blend all dressing ingredients in a processor until pulverised. Set aside.
Method for reverse searing:
- Pre heat oven to 135°C
- Cut beef against the grains into 2 thick steaks.
- Season steaks liberally with oil and salt.
- Line a baking tray with foil and place a roasting rack into the tray.
- Place tray in the middle rack of oven.
- Once oven has preheated place steaks onto roasting rack.
- Check with a temperature probe every 5 minutes until they reach the desired doneness.
- Rare: 50°C
- Medium Rare: 56°C
- Medium: 65°C
- Once done, wrap steaks with foil to rest.
- In the meanwhile fire up a heavy based frying pan until smoky hot.
- Remove foil and grill steaks 1 minute each side to form a crust on the outside. This will add a smokiness to the meat and also to further cook to the desired doneness to perfection.
- Serve over a hot mash potato or blanched green beans and a generous drizzle of chimichurri sauce.