Our chef Nelly has shared with us her recipe to cooking some of her favourite purple vegetables.
All things purple – A sweet, smokey, and crunchy ensemble with a hint of exotic spices.
- Your favourite purple veggies
- Mediterranean spice Seasoning (Dukkah, sumac, Ras El Hanout)
- Fennel seeds
- Red shallots
- Lime juice
- Sea salt
- Labna (Middle Eastern strained yoghurt with a creamy cheese texture)
- Pre-heat grill pan till slightly smokey or the oven broiler to 235°c.
- In the meantime, wash and cut, cube, or slice the veggies into similar size and thickness. Toss them in a large mixing bowl with a generous drizzle of EVOO and a tablespoon or two of honey. Add a few good pinches of Mediterranean seasoning mix, and a tablespoon or two of fennel seeds. Add some chopped aromats (red shallots and garlic, if desired) squeeze of lime and season with salt to taste.
- On a grill pan: turn down heat slightly and grill veggies in batches till slightly charred but not burnt. Veg should still be firm inside to retain a crunchy texture.
- In the oven: Arrange veggies on baking sheet in a single layer. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes each side, depending on thickness.
- Serve immediately with a side of Labna topped with a trickle of honey. Any leftovers maybe refrigerated for later use as salad tossed with a vinaigrette dressing combined with more of the Labna.
Here is an example of some potent, nutrient packed purple fruits and vegetables;
- Red dragon fruit
- Black currants
- Black grapes